Thursday, June 15, 2006

a scary evening that I do not wish to repeat

Well, I have tried an experiment to boost my milk supply to satisfy the baby, and it failed spectacularly. It turned out worse than the Braves' June performance.

William is so hungry at night that David and I worried he wasn't getting enough milk from me. So my lactation consultant and doctor agreed to try me on a medication to boost my prolactin levels. Let's just say it was Not For Me. The med, called Reglan, made me seem to be a person with mania. David said this morning after it had worn off that it was a relief that I'm not bipolar because he didn't know if he could handle me being so manic the way I was last night. Granted, they have meds for that, too, but I knew what he was getting at.

Apparently a side effect of Reglan is nervousness and anxiety. Well, let's see. Who's the biggest worrier I know who is already prone to anxiety? Ding ding ding! I took the first pill on Tuesday, and then took two yesterday. Bad idea. I was driving myself nuts. I couldn't sit still, and I had to pace around and do something. I couldn't hold William for two minutes, much less feed him. He was crying for food, and I was unable to do anything about it because I was having what could have passed for a panic attack. David said some of the tremors and shakes I had resembled those of some Parkinson's patients---because the medication affects the dopamine system in your brain.

It was a really scary evening. David even called one of my doctors to consult with her. Unfortunately there wasn't much that she could tell me to do, other than to have a glass of wine and wait for the Reglan to metabolize. David gave William some formula before bed, too, and took care of all bedtime duties and just consoled me to hang on. Thank God for him. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had been all alone.

I cleaned dishes, did laundry, and even alphabetized the mountain of books in our office, all in an effort to spend time so the medication would wear off. The boys slept in our room, while I finally was able to lie down and be somewhat calm around 2 a.m. I dozed off and on until I heard William cry around 5, and then I was able to actually hold him and feed him. That was a huge relief. We napped in my bed this morning, and now he's sitting in his bouncy seat next to me. He says hi and that he hopes his mom will feel better today--and take some more pictures of him smiling. I'm so glad that it's today and not yesterday!

And needless to say: no more Reglan for me!

No comments: