Friday, January 12, 2007

Snow!

When I opened the blinds in William's room this morning, I was stunned to see very light flurries, almost a suggestion of snow, flying sideways through the air.

"Look, William, that's snow," I said, as he sat in his crib and cheerfully banged his hard plastic blocks together.

About 15 minutes later, I started seeing large wet flakes of snow. And I realized that the empty tree branches and rooftops of neighboring houses were taking on a distinct white cast. Real snow!

I picked William up and took him onto what passes for our front porch. "Look, this is snow," I told him. "Like the snow in our Snowy Day book. Look!"

William stretched out his hand and stared at the flakes, which were flying heavier and faster than ever. Finally he spoke. "Caaaaa!" he crowed.

Absolutely, kiddo. He knew it was something new and unusual. He knew the snow was something special. Unfortunately I have no pictures to commemorate William's first snowy day. We had to hustle off to the doctor's office, and by the time we returned, the sun had come out and melted all the snow. Oh well.

Here he is, wearing his warm clothes and his hat, having shed his coat, shoes and heavy blanket.















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! We need some snow days here - send some our way! Isn't it wonderful to be showing him the beautiful things in our world and to be seeing them anew yourself?
Love to all, Mama Dee