Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

David and I woke up this morning just before 8 a.m. and realized that we still hadn't heard from William yet. I had heard him mutter once around 7, and David said he heard him cry out once around 6, but I guess both were false alarms.

I mean, the last time we really heard from him was when he looked like this:

















(Okay, we did wake him up, give him a short bath, feed him and then put him back to bed. And David did give him some grape-flavored Tylenol around 12:30, so I guess technically, William rang in the new year almost on time. But I think that's just a technicality.)

We trooped into his room about ten after eight, and there, wide awake in his crib was the little prince, smiling up at us and churning his legs. He was in a pretty darn good mood for having skipped his typical 5 or 6 a.m. morning feed.

We all piled on the couch together in a cozy bundle of pajamas to watch the Rose Parade. Then I slipped back to our room for a minute, but even down the hall, I was able to hear the following conversation that David had with William:

"It's not 2006 anymore. It's 2007," David told William. "It's not the year of your birth anymore. It's 200. It's a time for new starts, new resolutions."

He continued, "My New Years's resolution is to exercise more...maybe yours could be to learn to walk. That would be a good New Year's resolution, wouldn't it? And maybe to learn to eat big people food. What do you think about that?

When I came back in the living room, David informed me that William's resolutions also included "learning to talk" and "cutting back on his binky addiction."

Sounds reasonable to me. Since William has four resolutions, maybe I won't make any. I'll just help him work on his. I pretty much gave up on resolutions years ago anyway. You know that old saying "Know Thyself?" Well, I know myself, and I know myself has no business making resolutions that I'm not going to keep.

So, resolution-setting over and decided, we settled in to watch the parade. When the mayor of Pasadena came onscreen, the cameras showed a close-up of the mayor waving. William studied the mayor closely and leaned forward. Then he began to wave back at the mayor. For the next few minutes, every time the camera showed someone waving, William waved right back. Isn't he clever? I wonder what he'd think of a real parade, not just one on television...

Too bad he's too little for one of the best New Year's Day traditions: eating black eyed peas for good luck. I ate some extra ones for him, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That picture of William asleep on the floor has got to be one of the cutest pictures ever! I can't believe you woke him up to give him a bath. I tell you--William is the sweetest baby ever! Love, Moma Judi

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mama Judi. He looks like a little angel there asleep in the clouds.
With love, Diane