Saturday, January 06, 2007

Random William news

Let's see...

What can I tell you on the Random William News front?

William recently bit the head off his George W. Bush toy. I found the decapitated head lying next to his exersaucer the other day. No word yet on whether this was some sort of political statement.

He has also decided that he likes to read in bed. Usually we read "Goodnight Moon" to William every night before depositing him in his crib. Earlier this week, he started clutching the book tightly, so we just let him take the book to bed with him. Last evening, he did cry out at one point because the book had slid down and was blocking his access to the row of spare binkies at the crib's edge. That could have been ugly. I mean no one gets between William and his binky buffet. But other than that potentially nasty little episode, he seems to like to have the book with him, and really, who are we to deny the little guy access to books, right? David said that when he checked on William early yesterday morning, William had both of his hands tucked behind his head, with his elbows sticking out, and his book down by his feet. I guess he got tired of reading it at some point in the night, and he doesn't have a nightstand to put it on.

Oh yes. On the developmental milestone front, William is learning to clap. This is fun. It's pretty funny, too. David likes to sing "If You're Happy and You Know It (Clap Your Hands)" to him, and sometimes William will swing his arms together like he's trying to clap. He hasn't quite gotten the hang of opening up both hands when banging them together--often one is clenched like a fist--but I think he'll catch on eventually. He's still doing a lot of waving, and oh my, his wave just cracks me up. So does his babbling. Sometimes, I swear he's saying "hi." That always provokes a flurry of "Hi! Hi! Hi, William! Hi!" from me. I guess that's the sort of thing that makes non-parents look at us parent types like we're crazy.

And William attended his first birthday party this week. I mean, it wasn't his first birthday; it was the first party for someone else's birthday. Our next door neighbor's younger daughter was turning nine, so she ceremoniously brought over a pink and purple Barbie invitation addressed to Ms. Jennifer and William. Of course we went. We bought a bunch of markers and drawing paper for a gift, too. William mostly sat in my lap or in his Bumbo seat, but he seemed to have a good time. No cake for him, which is sorta sad. I mean, isn't half the point of a party to eat cake? I guess his time is coming, though.

I say that a lot, don't I? Ah well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe one of the kitties did it! I guess a little guy with no teeth could gnaw on something a long time and get it off, but he'd have to be pretty determined! Isn't it something that he loves "Goodnight Moon", his Dad's absolute favorite.
Love, Mama Dee

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to ask WHY he's got a George W. Bush doll. And where can we get one for the cats to play with?

~Natalie

Anonymous said...

I love it! Biting the head off the Bush doll! William is brilliant! LOve, Moma Judi