Saturday, May 06, 2006

Welcome to our new reality!

Well, here it is, May 6, 2006. Today is the two-week birthday of my first child, William. I am still in a little bit of awe (or is that from the sleep deprivation) that I actually have a son. I've always been the daughter, and now suddenly, I'm the mother.

I'm hoping to record my thoughts and feelings--and maybe a few amusing anecdotes--about what it's like to be a new parent. I'm very fortunate to have a wonderful partner in this whole endeavor, my husband David. We've agreed that we're happy to have William in our lives now, but every once in awhile, one of us will look down at him and, in response to the huge wave of Responsibility that washes over us, think, "Oh my, what have we done?" Not that we aren't thrilled to have him here, but wow. We are responsible for the entire life of this tiny little helpless person! But I guess everyone has to start out being a new parent at some point, right?

William is a wonderful baby, and we're really looking forward to watching him grow up. Okay, we're really really really looking forward to him sleeping through the night first, but then it's going to be a lot of fun to watch him discover things like flashing lights on a Christmas tree and the joy of building a tottering tower of blocks. And of course, David can't wait for William to play kiddie soccer and discover comic books. In the meantime, we're just getting to know him, and I guess he's just getting to know us, too.

No comments: