Saturday, May 13, 2006

sleep deprivation is used as a torture technique, you know

William may have excellent future career prospects in the intelligence field. He'll be able to extract all sorts of info from prisoners with his patented Sleep Deprivation techniques.

Yes, we had another long sleepless night here. He slept from 10 to 12, and then not again. We were up with him literally all night long. I got one short nap around 5 when David sat up and held him for about 30 or 45 minutes. David got a couple of catnaps when I was feeding William during one of his many nursing sessions. Then David took him this morning for about 1.5 hours to let me nap. Then William nursed, then David took him back out to the living room again for another hour or so. I was so grateful to David for doing that, especially while he's on call, but I just had hit the point where I couldn't function, I was so bleary. William's been nursing most of the day, too. He doesn't eat a lot at any one time, but woe to me and David if we remove him from the breast. David likes to paraphrase a line from "Little Shop of Horrors" when William is hungry in the middle of the night: "Feed me, Mama! Feed me all night long!" Ah, life imitates art once again.

Right now, William is lying on my lap, which is acceptable to the little prince because he's being held. But if I were to, oh, put him in the swing or bassinette, I'd hear an earful about it mighty quick. He's so cute in his little blue-and-white-striped onesie and matching hat that it's hard to believe that he can be such a terror when he gets all worked up! Even his little feet turn red when he's upset and angry and crying. Okay. I'm going in. I'm going to see if he'll let me put him down. Wish me luck!

No comments: