Monday, May 08, 2006

Growing fast...

William had his two-week doctor's visit this morning. He has gained weight (yay, all those feedings are doing some good after all!), and now weighs in at a respectable 8 lbs, 3 oz, up from his birth weight of 7 lbs, 12 oz. The doctor said he looked healthy and everything was fine, so we don't have to go back 'til he has his two-month appointment. That is the first appointment when William will have to get vaccinations. Dum dum dum. But that's aways off. For now, it is nice to know that he's healthy and thriving.

So it was an eventful day for us. We also attended the breastfeeding support group at the hospital after the appointment, then detoured by the post office and Jack in the Box on the way home. I'm learning quickly that it's best to consolidate all errands into as few trips as possible, so as to reduce the baby-wrangling necessary to accomplish said errands.

Of course, I may have tried to cram too much into one day today. When we finally arrived home, I sat down at the kitchen table to wolf down my burger while William dozed in his carseat on the floor next to me. I told him that I'd take him back to change and feed him as soon as I could eat. Ha. I paid for that. When I finally carried him back to the bedroom, I noticed that he had baby poop spilling out both sides of his diaper (darn Pampers!) and onto the carseat and all over his socks and legs. Aaack! I tried, really tried, to clean him up, but he was a mess. No, he was a Mess. I pulled off the socks and tried to wipe him off a bit before taking him out of the seat and putting him on the changing table. Then when I got him on the table, I discovered that he really did have poop up and down his legs. Of course, as soon as I got the diaper off and made a dent in that little problem, William peed all over the place, creating a big pool underneath him. Of course. A Mess, multiplied by the power of...well, you know.

I finally realized that even a big handful of the super-sensitive Huggies wipes were not going to solve my problem, and picked up the little poopy guy and rushed him into the bathroom for an impromptu bath in the sink. He was a little bemused at the new environment--I could just see him wondering what on earth this crazy woman was thinking, putting him in this cold sink. Whatever the infant version of Dorothy Parker's famous "What fresh hell is this?" was clearly broadcast all over his little face. See, I was all worried about the water being too hot, so I'm afraid I may have erred on the side of the water being a tad too cold. (Sorry, little man! It was a command performance, and I wasn't really prepared, you see. No time to calibrate the instruments or finetune any other analogies.) After enduring Mommy's fumbling attempts to clean him off---and oh no! wash his head! The horror, the horror!--William was glad to take refuge in the dignity of his Peter Rabbit hooded towel. Oh, the drama. Oh, the humanity.

We'll have his official first bath in his little bathtub, complete with baby wash and toys (and Daddy) later this week. Today was just a dress rehearsal. Er, or an undressed rehearsal, as it was. I'll be sure to test out the water and make sure that it's at an optimal temperature. And I'll bring along the camera, too.

No comments: