Sunday, May 07, 2006

To sleep, perchance to dream

I never thought I'd say that I felt positively refreshed after two three-hour stints of sleep, but well, folks, I'm new at this parenting thing. We had a minor breakthrough here at Chez Larson-Wyckoff last night. (Take note: I'm about to either bore or stun you with tiny baby minutiae. ) I fed William around 10 and put him down around 10:30. He slept until about 1:30, then woke up for a feeding and change, which David took care of. Then William went back to his cradle around 2 a.m. and slept until about 5. When he began fussing and woke us up, I didn't even remember the 1:30 a.m. feeding and worried that William had gone about 7 hours without food. David reminded me, and only then did I remember. (Sort of.) I barely remembered David's pager going off around 4, too. Then William slept again from about 5:30 or 5:45 'til around 7:15. He got breakfast and a new diaper, then another short nap. It was wonderful.

I was cheerful enough to sing songs to him during his most recent feeding this morning, around 9:30. (We covered an unusual span of music, ranging from the ABC song to the farmer songs such as "Old McDonald" and "Bingo" to "Verdi Cries" by Ten Thousand Maniacs to "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music to "Away in a Manger." I was getting a little desperate for new material there at the end. I tend to resort to old faithfuls like "Row Row Row Your Boat" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and "Mary Had a Little Lamb" when I'm tired but he's awake and I feel compelled to entertain him with something. However, I was trying to go beyond the basics, in case he's getting bored with them. If anyone knows of any good songs to sing to babies, please let me know. I've half-considered singing old sorority songs to him, in moments of "what other songs do I even know the lyrics to?")

David just suggested that since we "got so much sleep" that we hold a "Veronica Mars-a-thon" this afternoon to get caught up on all the Tivo'd episodes of one of our favorite TV shows. I quickly agreed. Our Tivo is nearly full of all the shows that we mean to watch and then somehow don't get around to. I figure, we have a better excuse now than we used to, though. But it still doesn't mean that I don't miss a little easy TV watching. Bring on "Veronica Mars"!

No comments: