Tuesday, September 23, 2008

William was funny on Monday

I recently decided to get back into at least a semi-regular exercise routine. So I dutifully dug out my shorts and my running shoes yesterday afternoon and prepared to go to the YMCA for a little treadmill time.

As I was standing in the kitchen, filling a water bottle to take with me, my son scampered into the room. He saw me and stopped short.

"Mama, are those your exercise clothes?" he asked before adding gleefully, "You look FUNNY!"

Har, har, kiddo. You wait until you're 34, and we'll see how good YOU look then!

* * * *

William has been telling anyone who asks that he wants to be a pirate for Halloween. No matter what else we suggest--a cowboy, a dinosaur, a fireman--he has stuck to his guns. But he's so funny about answering the question. No matter how many times you ask him what he wants to be for Halloween he always thoughtfully cocks his head to one side and says, "How 'bout a pirate?"

So last night at the dinner table, I asked him what he wanted to be for Halloween again. And amazingly, he didn't say "How 'bout a pirate?" He said (or I thought he said), "How 'bout A SOCK!"

"What?" I asked again.

"A SOCK!" he replied.

"A....sock?" I said, trying to picture a sock costume. I was having a hard time seeing the appeal of dressing up as a sock for Halloween. I guess it would be a pretty easy costume to make though, so there is that. Unless William wanted to be a toe sock; that could be problematic. I guess you could get a little jester's hat or something to symbolize the toes. But how would he hold his little trick-or-treat pumpkin?

"No, Mommy, a SOCK!" William shouted, growing a little impatient with me.

Luckily, David was there to translate. (That's usually my job, but all I could think of was telling people that my son wanted to be a sock for Halloween. "Tell them what you are, William." "I'm A SOCK!")

"A shark?" David gently asked.

"YES!" William shouted again, this time in relief that someone understood him.

So, no sock costumes for our toddler. But it didn't matter. Three minutes later, he was back to talking about being a pirate for Halloween anyway.

No comments: