Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy Independence Day!

Happy Independence Day!

I have officially had my independence from the desert and 29 Palms for one year today. Exactly one year ago this morning, we said goodbye to our little house in the desert and drove east for the last time. Amazing. It's been a whole year!

We made it to the Grand Canyon that night. Somehow it seemed fitting that we celebrated our liberation by visiting one of the most majestic places on earth.
















Today has been a much quieter Fourth of July.

I took William up to a more modest locale for the holiday this year: the neighborhood pool. Less majestic, definitely, but a heck-of-a-lot-easier ride? Absolutely. A ten-minute wagon ride versus a God-only-knows-how-many-hour road trip? I think you can guess what I prefer. We splashed and sweated and ate the gobs of picnic food that the homeowners' association provided. William gleefully ate more than a half-dozen slices of watermelon and cantaloupe, dripping it all over himself in bliss. In a little while, we'll fire up our own grill and cook some hot dogs and eat with Aaron, Diane, Mark and some of David's other relatives.

No fireworks for us this year. I love them, and you can only image how much William loves them. But I finally decided, after much deliberation, that I just couldn't deal with driving all the way downtown at night to wait around for fireworks at 9 p.m. Not when I'd have to fight traffic on the way home, too, since that would mean a very, very late bedtime for William. I hate to deprive my son of fireworks since he loves them so much, but well, too bad. Maybe someone in the area will shoot some off, so he can see them without leaving home.

David and William, apropos of nothing, except that I took the picture today:















I hope all my faithful readers (and even my not-so-faithful readers) are having a lovely Friday and a lovely Independence Day. May you have good food, drink and fun, wherever you are today.

William hopes you have a great holiday, too. And if you have any watermelon, please save some for him...

No comments: