Sunday, August 13, 2006

Yet another sleepless night

Last night was yet another awful night. Except for one or two nights, ever since we got back from Holden Beach, nighttime has been a nightmare at this house. William just won't sleep normally anymore. I honestly haven't had but maybe on decent night's sleep since we got home.

We had gotten him into a routine where he had a bath around 8or 8:30, then nursed in a quiet room, then went to bed around 8:45 or 9, with his music box playing softly. He went to bed pretty easily. And he often slept til 3 a.m. or so on most nights, and on a few nights, he would even make it 'til 4 or later. And I posted about the times he has slept through the night.

Now, he won't even go to bed at his usual time. He wails not long after I put him down. Then he wails regularly with regularity about every 45 minutes to an hour all night long. Sometimes a binky will settle him down. Sometimes it won't. David has tried to soothe him. I've tried. It will work at first, but it doesn't last. He might settle down, but less than an hour later, he's up again.

So I never get any decent stretches of sleep because William is constantly waking up, crying. The longest stretch might be an hour and a half. It is awful. It is beyond awful. He won't even nap reliably during the day, so I can't make up for the sleepless nights. Nothing is working. We are talking about doing a cry-it-out routine, but I don't even know if it will work. Not to mention whether I have the energy to even try it.

He was sleeping so much better, and now it's so much worse. It's as bad as it was when he was a newborn. Except back then, he wasn't developmentally ready to sleep long stretches of time. He needed to eat regularly. Now, he is big enough and old enough to be sleeping better, and in fact, he has done so in the past. But now he's not. And it is making me crazy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about the sleepless nights. Wish I had the magic solution. Make sure he has plenty of tummy time during the day. Love, Moma Judi

Anonymous said...

Well, I can't send email but I can post to the blog! Go figure....
Give William a big hug and tell him Moma Judi said to sleep! Love, Moma Judi

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
I'm sorry little William is so off
schedule now. Maybe he will start to get back on somewhat of a routine soon. Hope everyone gets a better rest tonight.
Love,Mama Dee

Anonymous said...

It sounds like my favorite 3mos. old is having jet lag, perhaps? N.C. was 3 hours ahead. Maybe that's it. I know it's rough, but I am sure it is temporary. Treat yourself to a massage and a glass of wine.

We love you guys and miss you.
Love,
Kathleen