Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Lieutenant promoted to lieutenant commander

Well, I'm not sure why Blogspot won't let me post any pictures, but it won't. If it would, you would be able to see the pictures of David getting promoted to a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy. He was officially promoted yesterday. The commanding officer at the hospital had the ceremony in the pediatrics waiting room at lunchtime. William and I attended, and I even got to pin one of the new shoulderboards onto David's uniform. We also attended the "wetting down" party hosted by David and several other new lieutenant commanders at the officers' club on base this evening.

So David's an O-4 now! I'm very proud of him. I remember the last time he got promoted. It was the day he graduated from medical school, actually. I was just his girlfriend back then. We took him over to the navy recruiting office in some strip mall, and the recruiter there pinned on his lieutenant stuff. Somewhere I have photos of David taking the oath from that guy. This time around, William and I are in the pictures, too. I think David looks pretty much the same--maybe a little more tired, though. Can't imagine why.

So much has happened since that hazy June afternoon in Memphis in 2000. It's hard to believe it. I didn't know then where our lives would take us, but I think things turned out pretty well. We're healthy, we have a good marriage and a beautiful son (if I do say so myself). Twentynine Palms isn't so great (what can you say about an ugly little town with fast food chicken restaurants that run out of chicken and no bookstores?), but we only have about 10-11 months to go. Thank goodness for that.

Hopefully I can figure out how to post more pictures soon.

Ah ha! It capitulated! Here's a photo of David taking the oath...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning!
Congtats to the officer! I've been eagerly awaiting some pictures - hope you'll be able to get some posted later.
Love to all,
Mama Dee

Anonymous said...

David, congratulations! We're looking forward to seeing the pictures! Love, Moma Judi

Anonymous said...

David, congratulations! We're looking forward to seeing the pictures! Love, Moma Judi