Tuesday, April 07, 2009

How to discuss death and all those cheerful topics

I wrote a piece for an online publication called BettyConfidential.com...I've never written for them before, but an editor contacted me recently. I pitched a few ideas, and lo and behold, my first piece is up today.

So here it is: How do you talk to your young child about death? It came up because our Sunday School class has been discussing the best way to handle Easter with our kids. As I write in my article, it's a lot easier to explain Christmas from a Christian perspective to a preschooler than it is to explain Easter. For fairly obvious reasons.

1 comment:

JenFen said...

Great article Jen - as you know I just recently had to research the topic myself because Jake started using the term incorrectly. Most of what I read was on par with your article. Very relevant. Thank you! Where was this 2 weeks ago?

Also - from a Christian perspective I also struggled with trying to help the kids understand that Easter is not just about eggs and bunnies. With Christmas it is much easier - I found a great book on the real meaning of Christmas. I found the same series of book for Easter and passed on it because obviously, no matter how well you word it, it had quite a different tone. I just couldn't do it.