Sunday, March 11, 2007

Time change

We have survived the shift to Daylight Savings Time. Well, I say that, but we haven't had a full day and night yet. William woke up at a fairly ordinary time this morning, regardless of DST, but then he went back to sleep again after nursing. And he slept for a long time. So then his afternoon nap was later, and he didn't get a second nap.

This is actually the fourth time in about a week that he's skipped the last nap of the day for whatever reason, and I admit I'm getting scared. I'm not ready for him to go to one big nap instead of two smaller naps. I'm hoping it's a fluke. I really am hoping. I know that it's common for many toddlers to take one long nap in the afternoon, but William is not a toddler yet. Yet. He's a crawling maniac now, but he's not a full-fledged toddler.

But I guess I should pay heed to the mantra that all mamas should know: if you don't like something, just wait. It's like the weather in New Orleans. If you don't like it, wait five minutes.

Right now William is out in the living room. He is objecting to his play yard. I sat in there and played with him for a little while, but now he's mad that he's in there alone. All alone! Nothing but tons of fun, colorful, age-appropriate toys to keep him company! Poor sad thing! The horror! I mean, doesn't he look tortured and miserable?



















Seriously, I think he may be getting tired. He's cranky that he's having to entertain himself (never mind that he's actually good at entertaining himself), but I think part of it really may be exhaustion. Or something close to it. Even with sleeping late and the long nap, he's still accustomed to having a nap before dinner, and he didn't get it. I'm trying to let him go a little longer before his last feeding and bathtime, but it may just not happen.

In fact, David's calling to me now, suggesting we feed William. William just answered with a "Raaa." I'll take that as a "Yeah, get with the program." Nighty night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aaron says to tell you he was so brokenhearted when he bought David the "CADILLAC of PLAYPENS" and he wouldn't go in it without screaming the entire time and having a melt down. So he seldom used it. I did put him in it for safety when I had to run to the mailbox and do other things, but he wasn't in it any longer than a few minutes or he would really protest! William looks pretty happy in the photo, but I guess that's because you're standing right there taking his picture!

Love, Mama Dee