Sunday, July 16, 2006

Oops, he did it again

Hey, I don't give William nearly enough credit sometimes. Once again, he slept through the night!

It was similar to the night before last: he went to sleep after a bath and nursing session, probably about 10 p.m. He fussed and grunted for a little while around 3:30, then fell back asleep on his own, while I listened to him, poised to jump and grab him if he began to really cry so we wouldn't wake up my parents. Then he woke up for real, starving for breakfast at 6:15.
AND he behaved himself through the entire church service and almost the entire post-service luncheon, too. AND he looked gorgeous in his little train outfit. Okay, I thought he looked gorgeous, but then, I am hardly a reliable source on that matter. (Miller, if you are out there reading this, or any of my English major friends, I guess that makes me an unreliable narrator, eh?)

I admit, I feel so much better about being a mother when things are going well. When William sleeps, or naps, or coos at me, I just feel so happy. He grins at me, and like Pavlov's dog, I automatically grin back. But there are times, like this past Wednesday, when I just fall to pieces. I guess it's just part of the learning process. William's never been a baby before, so he doesn't always know what to do, and that goes double for me as a new parent. We're rookies together. I wonder, does it get easier with the second baby? Do parents with more than one child ever second-guess what they're doing, even though they've done it before? Or is it easier to just go with the flow, so to speak?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! The luxury of getting some sleep is wonderful, isn't it? This really sounds promising.
With love,
Diane