Wednesday, June 06, 2007

"I'm a mommy"

Remember how much I agonized over not going back to work last summer? Remember how much I worried about what it would do to my career, to my identity, blah blah blah? How in the past, I've always said things like it's good for a mother to have a career because she's a good role model for her children, and how in the past, I used to say that I couldn't imagine staying at home with a child?

And lo and behold, I've stayed home with William for over a year now. I don't think he has a negative view of my career goals just yet, though, so I think we're good on that front for the time being. :)

But the other night, I attended Mom's book club meeting with her, and one of the women there asked me what I do. I appreciated the irony for a moment or two, and then laughed and said, "I'm a mommy." But y'all know me. Five seconds later, I couldn't help adding, "But I used to be a newspaper reporter."

The woman (a few years older than my mother, I think) said something to the effect of how being a mother is a very important job. Which it is, absolutely. And now that I think about it, it's kind of nice that someone did ask me what I did first, not assume that I didn't do anything (well, anything official that comes with a paycheck and a 401(k) eligibility). Of course, then the woman asked what my husband did, and I sighed and said, "He's a pediatrician." Because even though I made peace a long time ago that I would be a stay-at-home mom this year and be financially dependent on my husband, when you say it out loud, it does still sound a little bit strange. At least, it sounds strage, based on the Past Me.

And you know what? I still feel some of the conflict internally. Alethea and her friend Caroline and I recently had an email conversation about this whole topic. If you work full-time, you miss your child and wonder if having him or her in day care is the best situation and you can't do things together with your child like swim lessons or weekday playgroups. If you stay home, you worry about saving for your child's college and your own retirement and financially bolstering the family and providing insurance, should anything happen to your spouse. And that doesn't even get into things like personal goals and interests. So what's the best situation? What can you live with? What risks can you take or should you take? Gah. If you really stop to think about it all, it's crazy-making. And if for some reason, you're totally completely at peace with your situation, well, there's a whole raft of books out there on both sides of the fence that are guaranteed to induce some guilt in you even then! It's a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

I guess that David and I will just have to make the decision that is best for our family. That's what we've done up 'til now, and so far, it's worked out pretty well. It's not always easy to know what the right decision is, so we're just trying to do the best that we can.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least no asked if you had a REAL job after telling them you were a mommy. That's my cue to either leave the conversation or put some sort of food in my mouth so I don't get into an argument as currently it is not my argument to get into. Having been raised by a stay-at-home mom, though, I tend to get a tad defensive.

Eleanor

Anonymous said...

There are strong feelings on both sides. Some women don't have a choice - they have to work for pay. When you have a choice it is sometimes a very difficult decision. I agree it is definitely a REAL job to be a stay at home Mom!

With love,
Diane

Anonymous said...

Isn't our country funny? We make poor (welfare) women work even if they are single moms, but often chastise better-to-do women who choose to work. Blah!

I think our workplaces should be more flexible, and childcare more affordable so that those who want to work, can. And, I think there should be better tax advantages and retirement savings so that those who choose to stay home don't have to constantly worry about their financial future.

I am all about "family values."

-- Alethea

Anonymous said...

Amen to what Alethea said! Children are a nation's treasure and future. We should try to make things less stressful for families.

Diane

Jennifer Larson said...

Alethea's definition of family values is right on. A, want me to put you up for a Congress run?

Anonymous said...

You go girl!

It's a different time. So many people I know work, b/c they can't afford to stay home with their children. I have a friend who chose to stay home, and they are really struggling financially. She says they are making "sacrifices" although they seem really stressed out. If mom and dad are stressed, then the kiddos are stressed. If you can afford to do stay home and that is your desire, then that is wonderful. I can't imagine staying home full-time, b/c I think I would go insane. However, I know some of you gals were saying the same thing prior to having children. I think it is whatever you and your spouse decide works best. Thankfully we live in a time when you actually have a choice, and it is assumed that the mom will quit work to stay home with the kids b/c of social conventions. And, yes, there are plenty of books to make you feel guilty regardless of what you decide.... usually written by people with a lot of money who can do whatever they want.

Anonymous said...

Oops! I meant to say we "do NOT live at time when it is assumed women stay home with the kids.
Bad typo.