Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Is this it? Is he going to roll over? Is he??? Nope.

So close. So, so close.

William is thisclose to rolling over. Really. Thisclose. So, so close. And yet...so far.

David and I put him down on his tummy on either a blanket or his activity mat to encourage him to roll over. Sometimes we just leave him alone to see what he'll do. Sometimes we actively work with him, gently helping him roll over to understand what he could be doing.

He manages to roll neatly over onto his side, with his top leg even thrown over his bottom leg. When I see this, I hold my breath. Oh, is this it? Should I dash for the camera? He hangs in mid-air and then...nope. He flips back onto his back. If he sees me looking at him, he gives me a huge smile. Such a tease.

He's been teasing me like this for about three weeks now. David says that he'll roll over eventually, when he's ready. Also, we're speculating that it's harder for him to make it all the way over because he's fairly broad and sturdy (nice euphemism, eh?). And yes, I know that one day, I'm going to turn around and then turn back to find that he's rolled right over.

Know that's sort of funny, though? He won't roll over, but he manages a very early version of combat crawling. If I put him down on his tummy, he will manage to turn himself completely around and sort of drag himself around on his blanket. He can't go very far--or very fast--but he definitely can move around. You'd think that'd be harder to do than rolling over.

Anyway. Another day, another chance.

No comments: