Monday, January 26, 2009

On strike

Having a child is like owning a company with unionized employees. You just never know when they're going to strike.

With babies, it was the nursing strike. With toddlers, the eating strike. With older toddlers, it's the nap strike.

We're flirting with the nap strike here. Y'all know I'm not ready for William to give up his afternoon nap yet. He needs that nap. I need that nap. But William didn't nap on Saturday and barely napped yesterday. I was scared to death that he was going to stay awake all afternoon today, too, especially when he was yelling "come open my door" less than an hour after I closed the door in the first place. Not that he ever settled down and napped during that short time.

So I marshalled my best negotiating skills, preparing to march in there and lay down the law. I walked in and realized that whew! He needed a change. Not in a grand, sweeping Barack Obama way. No, he needed a change in a clean diaper kind of way. Stat. Once that was taken care of, I told him that in no uncertain terms was he allowed to get up yet. And I covered him with his blankie and marched myself outta there.

That was about an hour ago. So far, so good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My cousin has a really nice little setup going with her two kids. I think they are about 3 and 5 years old and she has a "rest" time set aside. The younger one gets his nap, but the older can just draw, "read," or play quietly in her room if she doesn't want to sleep. But she must stay in her room for the whole rest time, so my cousin can have a couple of hours to herself. Even when they visited my aunt, they kept to the same routine. I was pretty amazed and she said it works pretty well most of the time. :)