Friday, July 13, 2007

Getting used to it

It still seems very surreal that we're living in Nashville now. Of course, we still haven't even been here a week, but I still catch myself saying things like "Well, at home, the mailman came around one o'clock." And then I realize, wait, Twentynine Palms is not our home anymore. This is!

I suppose it will seem more real when we finally get all our stuff unpacked. The movers just delivered our furniture and sixty gazillion boxes yesterday, and needless to say, our house is an ocean of boxes right now. We have our bed up, and William's room is more or less in place, so that does help reduce the feeling of camping out a bit. I hope we'll feel even more at home once I can unearth all our dishes and silverware so we can stop using the plastic stuff.

I think the fact that we don't yet have an established routine is also making me feel a little bit disoriented. In Twentynine Palms, we did more or less the same thing on most weekdays: go to the Y for play class in the morning, come home, have lunch, William takes a nap, wake up and go to the store or the library or physical therapy, etc. or later, go to the pool for swimming lessons, come home, have lunch, William takes a nap, wake up and play, have dinner, etc. We'll have to figure out some kind of routine once David starts his new job--until I find a new job eventually, too. In the meantime, we'll just do some exploring and experimenting!

I did want to give a shout out to my friend, Jennifer. It may not have been hard to leave Twentynine Palms, but it was hard to leave her behind! We could burn up some serious time talking on the phone or in person while our kids played together. Jennifer always has had good advice for me since she has two children, and I was forever bugging her with questions; you know, like ideas for finger foods, cool toys, which medicine is better to give for what, what size to buy in swim diapers, etc. And we'd talk about all sorts of other stuff, too, and it was hilarious the way one of us would call the other to ask a quick question, and an hour later, we'd still be chatting! Jadyn and William have more or less been hanging out together since they were born, and I know I'll miss seeing her, her big brother Jake, and her mom all the time. But I fully expect to hear from her often (hint, hint, Jenn, if you're reading this!) Here's a photo that we took together on our last day in the Stumps:
















In case anyone was wondering, or even if you're not, William's walking is continuing to improve by leaps and bounds. And he really seems to like the carpet here since it provides a much softer landing space when he inevitably topples over or drops to his knees. He still throws his arms wide in that hilarious toddler stagger, but he's really getting much better at putting it all together. Every day, he seems to be able to walk further. He also likes his new swing in the backyard. He always enjoyed swinging at Jake and Jadyn's house and at Luckie Park, and now he has a swing of his very own, and he's darn happy about it. I just can't seem to push him high enough, though; he wants to go higher, faster, higher, faster!



















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He does seem to enjoy the carpet, the grass, and looking out the big windows. I can verify that his walking is improving daily. Jennifer, you need to show everyine the BACK of that tee-shirt! Also, he loves his room!

With love,
Mama Dee

Anonymous said...

OK, WHAT is on the back of that T-shirt? William looks as if he has recovered from that week-long cross-country trip! And to think you are back in the Central Time zone too! I can't wait to see him. Love, Moma Judi

Anonymous said...

Awww! We miss you guys too. Now I am all mushy/gushy inside. William sure does look like he likes the swing and grass - grass what is grass? We live in a giant sandbox. I know you do not miss that!

JoeJennJakeJadyn