Sunday, April 15, 2007

Spent, totally spent

We spent a long weekend in San Diego this past weekend, and all I can coherently express right now is that I'm beat. We took William to the famous San Diego Zoo, we ate at a few of our old favorite restaurants, and we visited with my friend Kristin. It was lovely, it really was.

And I am now spent. David is spent. William sacked out the second we put him in his crib. We've hit that stage in our family dynamic, or whatever you want to call it, where it no longer works very well to have William sleeping in the same room with David and me. Which is not a problem at home; William has his own room. But we had to all share a hotel room, so at 10:30 p.m. each night, there he was, awake, alert and standing up in the Pack n Play, wanting to look at Mommy and Daddy. That was not a recipe for a well-rested baby.

At one point, David and I both crowded into the bathroom and shut the door, waiting to see if the baby would finally fall asleep if we weren't in his line of sight. I got ready for bed, and David ate a piece of cheesecake over the sink. We slowly opened the bathroom door and peeped out. The Little Prince was still surveying his domain. Ack. Finally, we just gave up and crawled into bed, but then we got to listen to him paw at the PnP and shake his rattle and talk to himself first.

So assuming we all get a good night's sleep tonight, tomorrow I'll regale everyone with tales of William at the zoo. Oh yes, and I'll also tell you about how we should have been kicked out of a restaurant on Coronado Island.

No comments: